Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Faust

Photobucket
I may just be in a dark mood, but as I was in my pre-op shower I was thinking about Goethe's classic tale of Faust where the main character traded his soul to the devil. I was thinking about what a grave decision that is, and the implications that it would have. You would trade an eternity in hell for something that is fleeting. A passing passion that is only with you for a short time.

I also came to the conclusion that I would make a Faustian bargain (I know that admission will make my mom be concerned). But I would gladly trade my soul if I had a guarantee that what I wanted would come true. Despite my actions in this life, I do believe that there is a god. I'm not sure what god is, or which religion is correct. But I believe that there is a higher being that put us on this earth. However, I don't think that you can make a Faustian agreement.

But that brings me to what I would do. If it were possible, I would trade my soul for the eternal happiness of my family and friends. If I could know for a fact that all of my friends and family would be happy forever I would trade my soul. I care about my friends enough that I would be satisfied with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment